Health Center’s Women’s Health Services
We provide: periodic preventive health exams, including cervical cancer screening (Pap testing), screening for sexually transmitted infections, contraception information and prescriptions, diagnosis and management of most gynecological concerns and referrals as needed for specialist evaluation, including safe and legal pregnancy termination.
The premarital exam includes instruction and help with anticipated first sexual contact, and provides comfortable, knowledgable discussion of common concerns for women who are anticipating marriage and their first ever sexual experience.
Our pharmacy provides low cost birth control pills and we provide prescriptions for long acting reversible contraceptives including Depo, Provera, Mirena, Skyla, Kyleena, Liletta, Paragard.
The morning after pills including Ella and Plan B are available by prescription or over-the-counter. Call your insurance company to verify coverage.
Women’s Health Exam
- Schedule your exam when you are not menstruating.
- For the 24 hour time period before your exam, avoid intercourse and don’t use tampons. Your Nuvaring may remain in place.
- Bring any medications you are currently taking and any relevant medical records, for example, documentation of previous abnormal Pap test results.
- Arrive at least 15 minutes early to prepare for the exam and to provide a urine sample.
The Women’s Health Exam
- We will ask you to provide a urine sample.
- We will ask you to undress completely and we will give you an examination gown to wear during the exam.
- You will be asked to lie down on a examination table, place your feet in foot rests, and then we will ask you to relax and then let your legs fall apart so we may examine your external genitalia, vagina, uterus and ovaries.
- Wearing exam gloves and using a warmed instrument called a speculum, we will examine your vagina and cervix for cancer and infection with skin/ mucus samples from the cervix and vagina.
The bimanual exam evaluates your uterus and ovaries. The entire procedure takes less than five minutes. Usually this is not painful at all, it is just a different kind of exam.