Graduate Student Health Insurance
To qualify for subsidized graduate health insurance you must meet one of the following requirements:
- Obtain a .5 FTE (20 hours/week) graduate assistantship for the entire semester of desired insurance coverage (Fall/Spring).
- Obtain a scholarship/fellowship of $10,000 or more for the academic year .
Note: The student must be hired and in USU’s payroll system before November 10th for the Fall Semester and before April 10th for the Spring semester.
Enrolling or Waiving Insurance
As a qualified student you are required to waive out or enroll in the insurance each fall and spring semester.
Important: If you do not waive coverage by the deadline, you will be automatically enrolled in the school sponsored plan and charged the applicable premium. Absolutely NO waivers will be approved or refunds for the student premium will be issued after the deadline has passed.
Students who have enrolled on the website by or before the end of the 2nd week of the semester will be enrolled in the insurance program with an effective date as of August 15th for Fall Semester or January 1st for Spring semester.
Students may waive out of coverage from the subsidized graduate insurance if they have another qualifying insurance plan. The waiver requirements for the insurance plan are:
- My current policy covers me from August 15, 2017 through December 31, 2017.
- My current policy provides medical expenses at a minimum of 70% of the covered expenses.
- My current policy is ACA compliant (which includes pregnancy, no pre-existing conditions, preventative care, etc.)
- My current policy has a deductible of less than $500 for International Students or $3,000 for Subsidized Graduate Students
- My current policy is issued by a United States based insurance company. (Exceptions are a Utah State University Pre-approved coverage)
- My current policy does not have rates that are discriminatory or based on age or gender.
- My policy is not an international student only policy.
This is the planned method and timeline for the subsidized insurance program.
- Departments should complete the Insurance Eligibility spreadsheet before each semester. Timelines for this will be emailed out to the departments.
- Electronic Paperwork (EPAF) for qualifying assistantship or fellowship is completed by the department.
- If there are mitigating circumstances that are preventing the department from completing this paperwork, the department should alert Katelyn Richins in Student Health and Wellness Center with the Student’s Name, A#, Birth Date, Email Address, EPAF Begin/End Date, Account Code, and FTE. If the student is qualifying through a $10,000 or more fellowship/scholarship, the department should email the Student’s Name, A#, Birth Date, Email Address, Funding Begin/End Date, and funding amount.
- The Student Health and Wellness Center Insurance Coordinator will assess the student premium and remove any international insurance fees.
- Students who have waived through the website by the end of the 2nd week of the semester should have their student premium removed from their account and will be added to the “approved hard waiver list”. The department will be responsible to double check this list to see if any of their students are on it so that they can revise the account code on the EPAF to 617200 by September or January SA&GA EPAF deadlines.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact the Student Health and Wellness Center at (435) 797-1660.